Woman charged with child neglect after baby dies
Jay Meisel | Highlands TodayAVON PARK When investigators responded to a residence where a 10-month-old boy had died on July 7, 2012, they found a dead malnourished baby and a filthy residence crawling with cockroaches, according to an arrest affidavit.
Published: January 9, 2013
Published: January 9, 2013
Six months later, the mother of four children, Sandra Michelle Jackson, 25, of Avon Park, was arrested Jan. 8 and charged with one count of child neglect with great bodily harm and three counts of child neglect without great bodily harm.
The report did not list a cause of death for Milo Rupert, but noted that no visible evidence indicated the baby died from blunt force trauma. The report noted the body showed "signs of apparent insect feeding."
The Sheriff's Office declined further comment, as the investigation is continuing.
"Each victim was found to be poorly clothed, poorly fed, unwashed to the point of suffering from skin disorders and suffering from similar insect bites as victim 1 (Milo), the affidavit said. "Further evidence of the continued neglect of each victim was demonstrated by (name with-held) that each victim was not provided proper nutritional substance, care and supervision while in the care of the suspect."
"Combined with the suspect's flagrant disregard for the physical and mental health of the victims demonstrated by continuing to allow the victims to remain in an unclean, unsanitary insect-infested home, without taking steps any reasonable caregiver would undertake to improve the living conditions therein, failure to provide adequate food and supervision, failure to seek medical assistance for (Milo) when (Milo) was not eating, the suspect must have known, or reasonably should have known that said course of conduct would likely cause the death or great bodily harm of the victims, the affidavit said.
The affidavit said that it appeared the baby was dead several hours before anyone notified authorities or emergency responders. The mother was apparently at work at the time, the report indicated.
Upon entering the residence, deputies "found that the family residence was observed to be in near total disarray," the affidavit said. "The floors in the residence were soiled with what appeared to be spoiled food. Garbage cans were found overflowing. Clothing, toys and other household items were found strewn haphazardly, with the exception of the living room area associated with the video game system," the affidavit said.
"Cooking appliances within the kitchen were encrusted with food spoilage. Burned cigarette butts were found throughout the residence, apparently extinguished on the carpet. Observed throughout the family residence, in every room, was an excessive cockroach infestation. The infestation was so pronounced that within the refrigerator, where uncovered food was stored, both live and dead cockroaches were observed," the affidavit added.
email@example.com (863) 386-5834